Thursday, March 18, 2010

Twins!!


When I was growing up on the farm back in the 90's(yikes), we only had Simmental  cattle and they were the traditional yellow and white monsters that are known to spit out a bunch of twins.  Now most farmers cringe at the thought of twins, but babies are babies and we welcome them with open arms ( secretly I know marge gets upset if she doesn't have any twins to brag on in their yearly christmas letter!).  Well in the evolution of the simmental breed twins don't happen as much anymore, at least not as many as we are use too!  I'm serious 5 sets of twins in a year isn't anything new too us.  Up till now we hadn't had any twins and are on the downside of the calving season and honestly had given up any hope.  Until last week when Marge called with that little twinkle in her voice ( I knew something was up!)  She told me " well I guess they're coming in twos now" dumb me I was like what which two COWS calved?  She laughed and said no goofy Sweet Dreams had a set of twins!  I was shocked, of all our cows she really didn't look big enough to have a set of twins, needless to say the little girl weighed 55lbs and the boy 52Lbs.  Both happy and healthy and now marge is tickled to have to fix a bottle for her babes:)

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Good size calves for twins ... We haven't had any twins, but they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up, we had twins all the time, of course when we were not set up at to handle them, but know we have the perfect set-up for the additional TLC, we haven't had a single set.

    Great job keep them both alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both doing great! Fortunately mama has started milking more so they only get a pint of milk replacer a day now!

    ReplyDelete